Disclosure (full version- https://nikolaroza.com/affiliate-disclosure/): Some of the links you’ll encounter are affiliate links. If you click and buy something, I will get a commission. Thank you!
Jump here: Best Grammar Checkers, Software and Apps in 2023|Best Benefits of Using Grammar Checkers to Proof Your Content| What Should You Look for in a Grammar Checker |How to use Online Grammar Checkers for Best Results (Tutorial)|Best Grammar Checkers and Tools in 2023 FAQ|Best Grammar Checkers and Software in 2023 (Conclusion)
Best grammar checkers, apps and software in 2023…
Looking for a pro online grammar checker?
My guide below will tell you everything you need to know.
Table of Contents
Best Grammar Checkers, Software and Apps in 2023
- #1- Quillbot AI Grammar Checker App;
- #2- Grammarly Grammar Checker App;
- #3- ProWritingAid Grammar Checker App;
- #4- Ginger Software Grammar Checker Tool;
- #5- Outwrite AI Grammar Checker;
Best Free Grammar Checker Apps and Websites 2023
- #6- Hemingway App Free Grammar Checker;
- #7- Google Docs App Free Grammar Checker;
- #8- ChatGPT Free Grammar Checker;
- #9- Microsoft Free Grammar Checker Website;
- #10- GrammarCheck Free Grammar Checker.
- #11- LanguageTool Free Grammar Checker.
|Grammar Checker App||Free/Paid||Best for|
|Quillbot AI||Generous free version; paid service available||Students, bloggers, journalists...|
|Hemingway App||Free||Bloggers and Marketers with no money|
|Grammarly||Generous free version; paid service available||copywriters, journalists and students|
|ProWritingAid||Generous free version; paid service available||copywriters, journalists and students|
|Ginger Software||Limited free version; paid service available||copywriters, journalists and students|
|Outwrite||Limited free version; paid service available||Bloggers and freelance writers|
|Google Docs App||Free||Bloggers and marketers without money to invest in a paid grammar checker|
|Microsoft Word||Free||Bloggers without money to invest in a paid grammar checker|
|ChatGPT||Free||Bloggers without money to invest in a paid grammar checker|
|GrammarCheck||Free||Bloggers without money to invest in a paid grammar checker|
|LanguageTool||Free||Marketers who can't afford a paid grammar checker|
#1- Quillbot AI Grammar Checker App- (Free; Best for Students, Teachers, and Writers)
Quillbot is an excellent free AI-powered grammar checker that you can use to banish all grammar and spelling mistakes from your writing.
To use it you simply need to visit Quillbot.com, paste your content and Quillbot Grammar Checker automatically flags the mistakes it found.
Take a look:
Quillbot also has a Chrome extension, which is free and which you can download from the Chrome Web Store. After you enable the extension, it will find and fix all grammar errors and misspellings that have crept into your text, wherever it is you’re writing.
For example, here’s Quillbot (Chrome extension enabled) working hard within my WordPress dashboard while I’m writing this article.
Finally, Quillbot is much more than a grammar checker.
In fact, it’s the best AI-powered content paraphraser you can use to rewrite any content you write, as you write it. For example, here’s how I paraphrased the paragraph you just read in Quillbot.
Quillbot also has some other apps and capabilities:
- Quillbot Summarizer– summarize long-form content in bullet points or paragraph format;
- Quillbot Citation Generator– generate citations APA, MLA, and Chicago styles with a push of a button;
- Quillbot Co-Writer– have Quillbot write content for you;
- Quillbot Plagiarism Checker– check for plagiarism online;
- Quillbot Translator- translate content in over 70 languages.
Quillbot (and Quillbot Grammar Checker) Pros and Cons
- A forever free account that gives you access to 2 paraphrasing modes, Summarizer, Grammar Checker, Co-Writer, and Citation Generator;
- Quillbot Grammar Checker consistently finds most grammar and spelling errors within any text you give it. You get unlimited usage.
- 100% refund guarantee (applicable for 72 hr);
- Advanced features and increased limits for pro subscribers;
- Quillbot Grammar Checker is equally good as Grammarly, so no need to buy Grammarly;
- Free Google Chrome and Google Docs Extensions.
- No writing style suggestions. Only basic grammar and spell checks.
- Only 2 paraphrasing modes on a free account;
- A hard limit of 150 words you can paraphrase in one go;
- No GPT-3 -powered AI writing;
- You often need to manually intervene and tidy up the Quillbot paraphrased out before you use it.
Who is Quillbot Grammar Checker Best for?
Bloggers and marketers use Quillbot’s suite of tools to help them produce quality content faster.
Journalists use Quillbot to paraphrase breaking news already published by competing outlets (paraphrasing with Quillbot avoids blatant plagiarism and also the output is always grammatically correct);
students use Quillbot to help them write essays, research papers, homework, and theses.
Even teachers and professors who don’t use Turnitin use Quillbot Plagiarism Checker as an excellent substitute.
Quillbot Grammar Checker Pricing
Quillbot Grammar Checker is free and you can use it as many times as you want during the day.
As for Quillbot as a whole suite of tools that make writing easier, they offer 3 subscription models and you can get a discount with a longer-term subscription plan.
- Quillbot Monthly– $19.95/mo;
- Quillbot Semi-Annual – $13.33/mo ($79.95 billed every 6 months);
- Quillbot Yearly– $8.33/mo ($99.95 billed every 12 months).
|Quillbot Premium||$19.95/mo||$13.33/mo ($79.95 billed every 6 months)||Best Value
$8.33/mo ($99.95 billed every 12 months)
#2- Grammarly App- (Free, Paid; Best for Writers)
Grammarly easily has one of the best places on this list of top online grammar checkers and apps. It is the most widely used grammar-checking software on this list and more than 30 million writers online swear by Grammarly when it comes to defeating grammar, writing styles, and spelling errors.
Grammarly has an excellent extension that works with Chrome (read my Grammarly for Chrome guide), Safari (read my Grammarly for Safari guide), Mozilla, Microsoft Office (including Microsoft Word), Gmail (read my Grammarly for Gmail guide), and pretty much everywhere you type online.
Grammarly is also free to download and use.
Once the extension is installed it’ll appear in your browser extension bar as the Grammarly logo and while the extension is turned on Grammarly will highlight all grammar, spelling, tone, and writing style mistakes you made in your text.
For example, here’s a Grammarly extension working within my WordPress editor.
If you don’t want to install yet another browser extension, you can use Grammarly’s online text editor to edit your documents.
There you’ll be able to see suggestions about the tone, style, conciseness, and punctuation of your writing.
Grammarly Grammar Checker Pros and Cons
- Real-time grammar correction– Grammarly corrects grammar and spelling mistakes as you make them;
- Highly accurate– no tool is perfect, but Grammarly is one of the most accurate grammar checkers there is;
- Understandable corrections. For every correction Grammarly makes, there’s a tooltip at the top explaining to you what the error was.
- Helpful customization options– you can fine-tune Grammarly to the greatest detail in the settings area so the tool is able to help you even more. Two examples are you can set your English language (and consequently English grammar) variant (American English, British English, Canadian English, Australian English…), and you can add words and phrases to your personal dictionary so Grammarly stops flagging them incorrectly.
- Very simple and easy to use- Grammarly is one of the easiest grammar checkers to use on this list.
- Grammarly Free saves your documents forever (until you delete them)– which is great if you ever decide you want to upgrade to premium.
- Limited free version– Grammarly Free lacks the extensive features of some other premium grammar-checker tools on this list;
- Aggressive advertising- if you open a forever free Grammarly account, expect to be bombarded with ads within the dashboard, and also advertisement emails via your inbox. I suggest you use an ad blocker with Chrome or other browsers; and if you use Gmail, it will automatically send most of Grmamarly’s emails to “Promotions” tab.
Who is Grammarly Best for?
Grammarly is a premium online grammar checker. The largest and best blogs in the world use Grammarly as a safe choice to check their content before publishing it.
Students use Grammarly to check their work and college professors who don’t use Turnitin use Grammarly Premium instead.
Grammarly Grammar Checker Pricing
Grammarly is an affordable tool and you can buy monthly, quarterly, and annual plans.
- Grammarly monthly- $30/mo;
- Grammarly quarterly- $20/mo
- Grammarly yearly- $12/mo.
#-3 ProWritingAid- (Free, Paid; Best for Serious Writers)
ProWritingAid was the first grammar checker I discovered and used way back when. I still have fond memories of using it as it really helped me master English writing as a non-native speaker and freelance writer.
ProWritingAid’s features include checking:
- writing style;
- overused words;
- repeated words in close proximity (called “Echoes”);
- overused cliche words;
- transition problem detection;
- punctuation and spelling mistakes;
- plagiarism score
- and many more check modules.
The same as with some of the other online grammar checkers on this list, ProWritingAid lets you download their app which you can use on Windows and MacOS, and they also offer a free Chrome extension you can use anywhere you write.
ProWritingAid Pros and Cons
- Real-time grammar correction– Writing with ProWritingAid is like having a full-time editor standing over your shoulder and correcting mistakes as you make them.
- Extensive features list– besides being a grammar checker, ProWritingAid offer numerous other checks to help budding writers create the best possible work (especially helpful for first-time writers who maybe can’t afford help from paid human editors).
- ProWritingAid gives you insights into your writing style and the most common mistakes you’re making- so you can fix them for good.
- There’s a wide range of integrations with different platforms and apps- ProWritingAid works where you work.
- Not a replacement for a full time editor– ProWritingAid is an excellent grammar-checker app, but it can’t replace someone with years of experience. Especially as full-time editors often use ProWritingAid as well.
- 500-word content limit- the free version of ProWritingAid can check only up to 500 words of content in one go. You can do multiple 500-word blurbs but it gets tedious fast.
- No advanced writing style recommendations– the premium version of ProWritingAid will give you more writing improvement suggestions that the free one.
- Only 10 rephrases per day– ProWritingAid recently added paraphrasing capabilities to their tool. It’s fully unlocked only in their paid plans.
- The plagiarism checker comes extra.
- Plagiarism checker is not 100% accurate. Occasionally (In my testing roughly 1/10 times) there are false positives. If you’re paranoid about duplicate content then you need to get a proper plagiarism checker like Copyscape or Grammarly Premium.
Who is ProWritingAid best for?
ProWritingAid, as the name suggests, is a software built for pro writers writing books, novels, essays, research papers, etc.
I say it because the tool has so many features and so many ways to scan for writing style errors and improve them. You’ll become a better writer just by regularly using ProWritingAid.
I don’t recommend ProWritingaid to bloggers and affiliates running their sites and writing their own content. The tool is simply too extensive and most of the features you’ll end up never using.
So why complicate the writing process?
Instead, use Quillbot’s free grammar checker as it’s comparable to ProWritingAid in quality.
ProWritingAid costs $30/mo when you pay monthly, and this goes down to $10/mo if you purchase a yearly plan ($120 in one payment).
There’s also a lifetime deal where you pay $399 to get a ProWritingAid lifetime license.
#4- Ginger Grammar Checking Software- (Free, Paid; Best for Writers)
Ginger Software is an AI-powered online grammar checker app that can fix all types of grammar errors plaguing your text, from something complex like the writing style and tone errors to simple mistakes like misspellings and wrong punctuation.
You can try Ginger Software for free right on their homepage, but their grammar checker demo is limited to only 350 characters per one go (this is roughly one paragraph of text).
Here’s a snippet of text about Ginger Software’s grammar checker copied onto the designated field on their homepage.
However, there’s also a Chrome extension that lets you access Ginger’s grammar-checking features anywhere you write and with much higher limits too.
Below is an example of the extension working its magic inside my WordPress. You can see the Ginger Software flags mistakes similar to Grammarly and it’s up to you to go one by one and to fix them.
Ginger Software Pros and Cons
- Unlimited premium use: once you purchase a subscription to Ginger Software you can use the tool as much as you want, with no hard limits.
- Built-in language translation tool that lets you translate to and back in 40+ different world languages.
- Ginger Free has three writing tools- an editing window with a translation option, a dictionary, and a thesaurus.
- Ginger Premium has a “personal trainer” feature designed to improve your English. This is an AI-powered feature that over time analyzes your writing style and quirks and gives your custom tailored tips on improving your English writing. It’s like having a writing tutor next to you giving you suggestions as you write.
- Working through errors feels like a chore. You can’t fix all the mistakes Ginger Software found with a push of a button. Instead, first, you need to go error by error by hovering over tooltips and accepting or rejecting Ginger’s suggestions. Second, there’s no sidebar for you to get an overview of all misspellings and grammar mistakes Ginger found.
- Ginger doesn’t work with Google Docs.
- Ginger is not compatible with Mac OS.
- In free mode, It gives minimal feedback about the mistakes you made. So you can still fix your grammar errors but are left blind as to why something was a mistake. That’s no way to learn.
Who is Ginger Best for?
The free version of Ginger Software does basic spell checking and grammar correcting and is best suited for amateur bloggers who want to publish polished work, but who can’t afford a paid grammar checker.
And for those who can’t be bothered to fix potentially hundreds of grammar mistakes that pro grammar checkers find (depending on the length of the content).
The Ginger Pro version is comparable to Grammarly Premium and ProWritingAid in quality and I recommend it to serious bloggers for whom polished, grammar-perfect content is a must no matter the cost.
And Ginger is not expensive at all…
Ginger Software paid plans are:
#5- Outwrite App (Best for Bloggers and Marketers)
Outwrite, previously GradeProof (founded by Nick Hough and Craig Sketchley in 2015), is an AI-powered grammar and spell checker that uses proprietary NLP+NLU machine-learning technology to scan documents and recommend writing suggestions and tips.
Outwrite’s stated goal on its homepage is to help you obey grammatical rules by finding and fixing grammar errors and to teach you how to write more compelling and better copy.
Outwrite is not the most popular grammar checker on this list. They currently have 1m+ users in more than 211 countries and territories of the world. This pales in comparison to something like Grammarly App or Quillbot AI where both tools boast dozens of millions of active users.
However, that doesn’t mean Outwrite is a lesser tool compared to the two (it means the market is fiercely competitive).
Outwrite Pros and Cons
Who is Outwrite Best for?
I’m a blogger who writes for a living. And I use Outwrite every day to help me produce better content, faster and with zero credibility-wrecking writing and grammar mistakes. I have the premium version, but Outwrite free version is also extremely good at combing through online written work and finding errors.
I recommendOutwritet to bloggers who’re just starting out and who can’t afford to pay for an online grammar checker. And also to freelance writers and authors who can’t afford to pay for a human editor.
Outwrite is nearly as good as a professional editor and is more than enough for you to submit grammar-mistake-free work.
Outwrite offers 3 plans:
- Essential– this is a forever free plan;
- Pro– $24.95/mo, or $9.95 if you buy a yearly plan;
- Teams– $14.95/mo, or $7.95 if you buy a yearly plan;
As you can see, Outwrite Teams is the cheapest solution, but don’t buy it unless you really have a team:)
Otherwise, Outwrite Pro is your best bet.
Best Free Grammar Checker Tools Apps and Software for 2023
#6- Hemingway App- (Free; Best for Bloggers With no Money)
Love reading the works of Ernest Hemingway?
Then you’ll love the Hemingway App, a free tool that’s supposed to make your writing as clear as Hemingway’s was.
Besides being a free grammar checker, Hemingway App will also ensure you don’t destroy your content’s readability by writing long-winded sentences that obfuscate the meaning;
and that you don’t write walls of paragraphs that only a masochist looking for pain would read.
You’ll also be warned if your content is weak because you overused passive voice.
Using complicated words is a mistake most writers make, and Hemingway App is built to point them to you before you hit publish. By replacing unusual words with their simple, commonly used alternatives you’ll make your content read and sound better and this will make it more effective (you’ll get more conversions).
Finally, Hemingway App will also show you adverb overuse, something I’ve been guilty of many times and you’ve probably too.
Hemingway App Pros and Cons
- Hemingway App is a free way to detect pretty much all grammar mistakes found in the text;
- Using this tool consistently will help you become a better writer;
- You also get recommendations on writing style, tone, structure, and formatting, something many other online grammar checkers tell you only after you’ve upgraded and spent your money.
- It’s an online app so no need to download software onto your computer’s drive;
- Very easy to use.
- This free service lacks the extensive features of some other grammar-checker apps on this list (for example ProWritingAid has dozens more, some of whom you’ll definitely need and which are lacking in the free Hemingway App);
- Doesn’t save your work like for example, Grammarly Premium or ProWritingAid.
Who is Hemingway App for?
Hemingway App is not the most sophisticated grammar checker on this list. It can only catch basic spelling, grammar, and writing style mistakes.
However, it’s free and as such is best suited for beginner bloggers who can’t afford to buy a premium online grammar checker, but who still want to check their content for grammar and writing errors.
Hemingway App Pricing
Hemingway App is a free online grammar checker, but don’t let that fool you. The tool is powerful as it will check your text’s grammar, writing style, sentence length, formatting, readability, and more.
You can also get a paid desktop version of the Hemingway App that works even without having an internet connection.
The Hemingway App premium version costs $19.99, paid in a one-time payment.
#7- Google Docs App (Free, Best for Bloggers and Marketers Without Money)
Google Docs is Google’s answer to Microsoft Word.
It’s a word processor that millions use to write better content, faster and without embarrassing grammar and spelling mistakes.
And Google Docs comes with a free grammar and spelling checker.
Pro tip: here’s how to enable Google Docs’ native spelling and grammar checker:
Google Docs Pros and Cons
Who is Google Docs as a Grammar Checker Software Best for?
Google Docs offer basic spelling and grammar checks and as such is not suited for serious web publishers whose livelihood depends on their written work on their sites (instead, they should go for Quillbot or Grammarly).
That said, bloggers just starting out need to write in Google Docs because their free grammar checker is pretty good and gets the job done for most beginner bloggers.
Google Docs is not perfect at spotting errors, but easily catches the most obvious and common grammar and spelling blunders and misses only those that often confuse even the premium grammar checker tools on this list.
Basically, the mistakes Google Docs misses are those likely to be missed by most of your content readers as well.
Google Docs Pricing
Google Docs is free!
Try Google Docs today!
#8- ChatGPT as a Grammar Checker (Free, Best for Bloggers and Marketers Without Money)
ChatGPT came out in November 2022 and since then has literally exploded on the market. In just a few months more than 100 million people have tried it and more people are signing up every day.
While ChatGPT can seemingly do anything, I want to focus here on its grammar-checking abilities.
See below how it works.
First, open an account over at ChatGPT and log in to the dashboard.
Second, start the conversation by saying “hi ChatGPT, how are you doing?”
Third, ChatGPT will greet you and ask what it can do for you.
Give it this prompt “Please fix grammar errors and typos in this text” and paste the content.
Now wait for a few seconds while ChatGPT works.
ChatGPT as a Grammar Checker Pros and Cons
- Free grammar checker– ChatGPT is a free grammar checker that you can use unlimited times during the day, as long as ChatGPT is not at maximum capacity.
- Easy to use– using ChatGPT to fix grammatical mistakes is as easy as telling ChatGPT to fix your errors.
- Decent quality– ChatGPT is excellent at finding and fixing basic grammar and spelling errors, and decent at fixing writing style and tone mistakes.
- Not a thorough online grammar checker– ChatGPT easily fixes all the mistakes it finds. However, in a longer text, many mistakes slip through and if you don’t know about it your content will be riddled with errors you could’ve avoided had you used a paid grammar checker.
- Not always online– ChatGPT is so popular that their server often can’t handle the constant traffic avalanche. This means oftentimes you won’t even be able to log in, let alone check your content for grammar mistakes.
Whom is ChatGPT as a Grammar Checker Best for?
I use ChatGPT for content that is not as important to me and where superficial content polishing is enough.
I don’t use ChatGPT for important text, such as this blog post on my website. No, this article went through a thorough check from the Quillbot Grammar Checker.
I recommend ChatGPT to anyone who doesn’t have money to invest in a premium grammar checker app. Using ChatGPT as a grammar checker is way better than using no tool at all.
ChatGPT is free!
There’s also a paid version (ChatGPT Plus) starting at $20/mo.
I don’t recommend you buy ChatGPT because the free version works great for grammar checking and it’s better to invest in proper grammar software instead.
#9- Microsoft Word as a Free Grammar Checker (Free; Best for Bloggers and Marketers Without Money)
Microsoft offers a free grammar checker you can find here.
It’s easy to use it. All you have to do is take the content you want to proof and paste it into the online editor.
Microsoft’s free tool will flag all mistakes it found.
Here’s an example of my text purposefully riddled with typos, fixed by Microsoft editor.
Microsoft Grammar Checker Pros and Cons
- Free grammar checker– Microsoft offers a free grammar checker you can use as much as you want either on their demo page or via their Chrome and Edge extensions.
- Decent quality– Microsoft’s grammar checker will find most grammar and spelling mistakes plaguing your text.
- Basic grammar checker– Microsoft’s grammar checker finds only basic typos and grammar mistakes. You can’t fully rely on it to check your content.
- Online demo is severely limited– you can check up to 500 characters for free via Microsoft’s grammar checker. That amounts to one solid paragraph.
Whom is Microsoft’s Grammar Checker Best for?
Microsoft’s grammar checker offers basic spelling and grammar suggestions.
As such, it’s good for casual and hobby bloggers and I don’t recommend it to pro bloggers and marketers who use content to get conversion and make money.
Microsoft Grammar Checker Pricing
Microsoft grammar checker is free!
#10- GrammarCheck (Free; Best for Bloggers and Marketers With Limited Budgets)
GrammarCheck is a free online grammar-checking app that can find and fix grammar and spelling mistakes for you.
It’s very easy to use, all you need to do is paste the content you want to check and GrammarCheck will automatically flag the mistakes it found. GrammarCheck’s basic service is powered by Grammarly and if you click the “Deep Check” button you’re taken to Grammarly Premium for a deeper check.
GrammarCheck Pros and Cons
- Free grammar checker– GrammarCheck offers a free grammar checker you can use as much as you want.
- Decent quality– GrammarCheck will find most spelling and grammar mistakes plaguing your text.
- Basic grammar checker– Microsoft’s grammar checker finds only basic typos and grammar mistakes. You can’t fully rely on it to check your content.
- Online demo is severely limited– you can check up to 500 characters for free via Microsoft’s grammar checker. That amounts to one solid paragraph.
Whom is GrammarCheck Best for?
As with all free grammar-checking tools on this list, GrammarCheck is a good first aid when proofing content, but I don’t recommend its use on your important content.
You need a paid grammar checker for that.
GrammarCheck is free!
#11- LanguageTool (Free; Best for Bloggers and Marketers Without Money)
LanguageTool is a free grammar checker app that you can use to proofread your content for grammar/spelling errors.
First, take the content you want to check and paste it into LanguageTool. This tool will automatically scan and label all mistakes found in your text.
Here’s how LanguageTool found the mistakes in my example text.
Pretty good results for s free tool, no?
LanguageTool Pros and Cons
- Free grammar checker– LanguageTool is a free grammar checker you can use as much as you want.
- Decent quality– LanguageTool will find most grammar/spelling and even writing style errors destroying your reputation as a writer in a given text.
- Basic grammar checker– LAnguageTool will only give you basic suggestions on what to improve in your text. This will make it superficially good but your text will still be full of errors that LanguageTool didn’t detect.
Whom is LanguageTool Grammar Checkers Best for?
Use LanguageTool if you don’t have money to buy a premium grammar checker. It’s better than using the tool at all to check your content.
LanguageTool is free.
There’s also a premium version which starts at €15.92 / month.
There’s additional pricing for quarterly and yearly paid plans.
Best Benefits of Using Online Grammar Checkers to Proof and Enhance Your Content
When writing content for the web, you want it to be spotless. In fact, you need it to be spotless because simple typos and misspellings can damage your reputation for good.
Imagine you’re in a buying mood and looking to purchase, for example, the best grammar checker you can find online. And you go to a website and see content that’s riddled with spelling errors that even the basic spell checker can easily find and correct.
The blogger who wrote that article was obviously careless and they’re definitely NOT someone whose advice you should listen to when it comes to picking an excellent grammar checker software for your business.
Here are the key issues that a good Grammar-checker tool should immediately flag:
- Typos. These are basic writing mistakes every online grammar checker should catch. Imagine writing god speling instead of good spelling; and gramar instead of grammar. Very embarrassing.
- Passive Voice. Passive voice is not inherently bad but is best avoided in online writing (yes, I just used passive voice and it’s fine). Active voice makes your copy more powerful, impactful, and actionable. All grammar checker software on this list has the ability to flag passive tone and also suggest ways to rewrite the offending sentence from passive to active.
- Punctuation. Proper punctuation is a hard skill to master, especially for non-native speakers. And it is important too, as one wrongly placed comma can twist the meaning of the sentence and destroy or blunt the point you’re trying to make. All grammar checker apps on this list can flag incorrect punctuation for you to fix ASAP.
- Overused words. The best grammar checkers you can find online will tell you if you’re overusing certain words in your content and will suggest suitable alternatives. There’s also usually a whole thesaurus built into the app that you can use to find the best synonyms of the word.
- Style- Some grammar checkers on this list allow you to set the style or tone to your writing, and when you start to veer off, the tool will warn you and suggest alternative words that are associated with your chosen style.
What Should You Look for When Shopping for an Online Grammar Checker App (Required Features)?
Here are the features you need to look for when picking a pro grammar checker to buy. Some of these are crucial, while others are a welcome addition and will make your life easier.
#1- Extensive Compatibility
You need to be able to access your premium grammar checker anywhere you write, no matter the OS or device you’re using.
A good example is Quillbot AI.
It’s an affordable AI content paraphraser and grammar checker that you can access via any browser, and if you install their Chrome extension you can use it anywhere on the web where you write, as long as you’re using Google Chrome or a Chromium-based browser.
#2- Spelling Corrections
Spelling mistakes and typos within a text destroy your credibility and make you look unprofessional.
Whichever premium grammar checker you pick from this list has to be able to catch all misspellings and typos plaguing your text.
Here’s Quillbot Grammar Checker catching all my misspellings.
#3- Paraphrasing Capability
Sometimes, you spend a lot of time fixing your grammar and spelling mistakes, only to dawn on you that what you wrote is actually not good enough and that you should rewrite it.
In those cases, for convenience’s sake, your grammar checker also needs to have an inbuilt paraphrasing capability.
This will save you so much time and prevent so many headaches.
Personally, I use Quillbot to rewrite my content of insufficient quality. Quillbot is the best AI paraphrasing tool on the market, it’s really affordable and it has a free grammar checker app that is on par with Grammarly’s.
For example, here’s how I paraphrased the text above with Quillbot Paraphraser App. The content came out Ok and above all, it’s unique and free of grammar errors.
Alternatively, you can use Outwrite to rewrite sentences for you. However, Outwrite gives you only 5 free rewrites before asking you to upgrade.
#4- Overall Writing Score Display
Overall writing score display helps you understand how clean of errors your document is.
A higher score indicates a text that’s clean of grammar, style, and spelling errors.
Two tools that offer free text scores are Grammarly and Hemingway App.
Here’s how the free version of Grammarly scores the text you fed into their editor.
And here’s how Hemingway App shows you.
#5- Translation Capability
Occasionally, you will need to communicate with your audience in languages other than English.
Some of the tools on this list of the best grammar checker software offer inbuilt translation abilities. For example, Quillbot gives you the ability to translate content from 40 different languages into English, and vice-versa.
Take a look at how I translated a few paragraphs about the French language from Wikipedia’s article on French written in French.
#6- PDF Capability
The grammar checker you pick needs to have the ability to check your document, even when they’re in PDF format (opened via Chrome or some other web browser)
All tools on this list have that ability.
#7- Third Party Integrations
Third-party integrations enhance your user experience with the grammar checker and enable you to use it pretty much anywhere online on the web.
All grammar checkers on this list offer extensive third-party integrations which will help you have spotless grammar on any device, within any browser, and on any program where you happen to produce any type of content.
For example, ProWritingAid alone offers integrations with applications like Google Docs, Word, Outlook, Final Draft and Scrivener, and WordPress (via its browser extension).
How to use a Premium Grammar Checker for Best Results (Tutorial)
Whichever grammar checker app you pick, you’ll need to use it the right way to get the best results.
Here are some tips to get you started.
#1- Install Their official Extension if the Grammar Checker Tool You Chose Offers it
When an online grammar checker tool offers you to install their official Chrome extension, you better accept it. It’ll make your usage of the tool easier and more streamlined.
And it’ll be a huge timesaver not to have to hop around browser tabs and copy/paste content like there’s no tomorrow.
For example, here’s how Quillbot nudges me to install their Chrome extension.
#2- Never Fix Your Grammar Mistakes While You’re Still Writing
It’s a huge mistake to be fixing your grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes while still writing your content.
This practice is a huge time suck, it breaks your writing concentration, and most importantly, any text you write will still need to be edited first before you publish it.
This means many grammar mistakes will be eliminated in the editing stage as the sentences and paragraphs that hosted them will get removed.
#3- Never Intentionally Plagiarize
Remember, some grammar-checking software on this list also have inbuilt plagiarism checkers, so if you do plagiarize, intentionally or not, the tool will be able to tell you and you’ll end up having to go back and redo certain sections.
If you’re worried about unintentionally plagiarizing someone’s work, then you need a pro-plagiarism checker to help you avoid it.
Read my guide to the best plagiarism checker software next!
#4- Be Consistent with Grammar Checker Usage
Oftentimes, it’s tedious to fix so many errors and you’ll get tempted to just disregard some to get content done faster.
Don’t do this as it’ll destroy your credibility as an online content creator.
Without credibility, you won’t be able to influence anyone and you won’t be able to sell anything with your site and online business.
For example, here I am talking about the best grammar checker software on the market, and this page has a handful or two of affiliate links. People will use it to buy grammar checkers from it.
But if my page were riddled with grammatical mistakes, I could kiss those sales goodbye.
Best Grammar Checkers and Tools in 2023 FAQ
My guide on the best Grammarly checkers and software for 2023 would be incomplete without a thorough FAQ section.
#1- What is an Online Grammar Checker?
An online grammar checker is a specialized software and a service that helps you detect and fix grammar, spelling, writing style tone, and formatting mistakes.
Some grammar checkers are free, some are paid and the best ones are included on this list, courtesy of one called Nikola Roza:)
#2- Is it Safe to use an Online Grammar Checker?
It is 100% safe to use an online grammar checker. Most of these tools, both free and paid, use premium encryption to store your data.
You have nothing to worry about, and if you’re worried, pick a grammar checker that doesn’t store your data on its servers.
You’ll need to do some manual research and, usually, the information on what data they collect can be found in their privacy policies.
For example, don’t use Grammarly as Grammarly obviously collects your user data.
Here’s my history of extensive usage of Grammarly to proofread my content.
#3- Are Free Online Grammar Checkers Good Enough?
#4- Which of These Grammar Checker Tools use AI?
Quillbot, Grammarly, Ginger and Outwrite use AI to scan your text and find grammar and spelling errors. Other tools on this list are not powered by artificial intelligence but are still quality choices. Honestly, simple grammar and spell checking doesn’t require a whole lot of computing power.
#5- Are Online Grammar Checkers Accurate and Reliable?
It depends. Online grammar checkers are reliable on very short texts which you can quickly proof after your grammar check is done with it. And with short-form content, they’re usually 100% accurate.
With longer-form content, you’ll need to carefully proof your content to catch mistakes that the tools missed. Basically, if you’re going to be publishing a book, and it’s important to you, make sure you hire a human editor to help you.
#6- What is the Fastest Grammar Checker?
The fastest grammar checkers are those that offer real-time text analysis. Good examples are Grammarly, Ginger, and Quillbot which scan your content as you write and offer improvement suggestions.
A slow grammar checker, in this case, would be the Hemingway App because they don’t offer a Chrome extension you need to manually paste the content into the editor to get improvement suggestions.
#7- What are the Most Popular Grammar Checkers in the World?
The most popular grammar checkers in the world are Grammarly and Quillbot. Both tools are used by millions, and arguably Grammarly is the more popular one.
#8- How Can I Pay for an Online Grammar Checker?
#9- Are There Some Online Grammar Checkers That can Also Paraphrase Content Besides Checking Grammar?
There are grammar checkers that can also paraphrase the content. First, there’s Grammarly Premium which has the ability to rewrite full sentences for better flow and maximum readability.
Second, there’s Quillbot which is a full content paraphraser that can rewrite and reword sentences, paragraphs, and even entire articles.
Third, there’s no room for it here, but you can check out my guide on the best paraphrasing tools and software to learn more about tools that can check grammar and create new content, usually with the help of AI.
#10- Does Using Online Grammar Checkers to Proof Content Trigger AI Content Detection Tools?
Using online grammar checkers to proof content typically doesn’t trigger AI content detection tools. This is because grammar-checking apps usually correct typos, or replace weak words with their stronger alternatives…
These changes are too minor to set off AI content detectors. However, if you use a grammar checker to also paraphrase content, (Quillbot is a good example) then when you run your content, through an AI detection tool it might appear as written by a robot.
That’s because Quillbot uses AI to rewrite the text.
#11- Can I use Two Grammar Checkers for Maximum Results?
You can use grammar checkers for maximum results. I recommend you pick grammar-checking apps that offer free extensions. Install and activate them both and together they will find more mistakes than either one individually would.
In fact, that’s what I do.
I use both Grammarly and Ginger Software extensions with my Chrome.
#12- What are the Limitations of Online Grammar Checkers?
The limitations of online grammar checkers are that they can’t catch all grammar, spelling, and writing style mistakes.
But they’re improving and that’s why each new iterations of a grammar-checking app are better than the previous one.
#13- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Academic Writing?
The best grammar checkers for academic writing are all paid grammar checkers on this list.
I say this because academic writing doesn’t allow for any grammar and spelling errors and using pro grammar checkers (alongside having a human editor proof your work) is your best bet for delivering error-free content.
I recommend Quillbot Grammar Checker App.
#14- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Small Online Businesses?
The best grammar checkers for small online businesses are all paid grammar checkers on this list.
I say this because free grammar checkers aren’t good enough to proof content meant to get you conversions and sales.
And paid grammar software is your best choice for consistently delivering winning content.
#15- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Students?
The best grammar checkers for students are all paid grammar checkers on this list.
I say this because free grammar checkers aren’t good enough to proof content meant to get you good grades at your university.
And paid grammar software is your best choice for consistently writing error-free homework research papers, and essays.
#16- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Writers?
The best grammar checkers for writers are all paid grammar checkers on this list.
I say this because free grammar checkers aren’t good enough to proof serious online content.
And paid grammar software is your best choice for consistently writing error-free excellent content.
#17- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Google Docs?
The best grammar checker for Google Docs are those that offer extensions you can add to Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers.
I recommend Quillbot, Grammarly and Ginger Software.
#18- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Microsoft Word?
The best grammar checker for Microsoft Word are those that offer extensions you can add to Chrome and other Chromium-based browsers.
I recommend Quillbot, Grammarly and Ginger Software.
#19- What are the Best Grammar Checkers for Mac?
All grammar checkers on this list also work with Mac OS. Mac also has an inbuilt grammar checker which is better than the free apps on this list, but worse than paid grammar checkers on this list.
#20- What is the Easiest Way for Me to Fix Errors in My Online Work?
The easiest way to fix errors in your online work is to use free and paid grammar checkers to check your work.
#21- Is Using Online Grammar Checkers a Type of Academic Dishonest?
Using online grammar checkers is not a type of academic dishonesty because all you’re doing is fixing mistakes in your content wishing to make it better.Best Grammar Checker Tools Apps and Websites for 2023 FAQ- Your Questions Answered! #grammar #spelling #writing Click To Tweet
Best Grammar Checkers and Tools in 2023 (Conclusion)
Grammar mistakes and misspellings happen all the time to anyone writing online. They happen to you and will happen to you unless you’re proactive.
The proactive way to solve the problem permanently is to get a pro grammar checker to fix your grammar and spelling mistakes.
Here are the best grammar checkers for 2023:
Now go ahead and grab an online grammar checker and see how your writing and editing process significantly improves.
Nikola Roza is an affiliate marketer and blogger behind Nikola Roza- SEO for the Poor and Determined. He writes for bloggers who don't have huge marketing budgets and who still want to carve out a niche online and a better life for themselves. He's also passionate about precious metals IRAs and how to invest in gold and silver for a safer financial future. Learn about Nikola here, or read his blog posts and guides here.